Apr 30 , 2018
Leather is a classic material. Durable, stylish, and tough, a good piece of leather should last you a lifetime. However, like most things, you need to show your leather some love. The better you maintain your leather the longer it will last and the better it will look. It’s a special kind of material that you can’t just throw in the wash, so it’s important to understand how to maintain it.
1. Keep leather items out of the sun. The sun will dry the leather out and cause it to become brittle. Once your leather has become brittle it will become to crack and deteriorate.
2.Keep the items in a cool, dry place when not in use. Mildew can deteriorate leather if it is allowed to grow on it. Don’t leave your items in a humid or wet basement – this could promote the growth of mildew.
- Don’t keep your leather in plastic either. Removing all air supply from the leather is bad for the material.
3. Keep leather away from abrasives that can scuff or cut it.  Once leather has been damaged, there is no way to repair it. Keep in mind that you can only prevent this to a degree, so don’t obsess over it. Try not to leave your leather on a gravel driveway, for example. However, throughout the lifespan of your leather something is bound to happen to it.
- Many people enjoy the look of worn leather and think its brings the material to life.
- You also should avoid letting your leather get stretched out. For example, if you stuff a leather wallet too full it won’t go back to its normal size afterwards. If you want sleek, new looking leather you should avoid stretching it
4. Add moisture to your leather. If you find that your leather is starting to dry out or crack it may be time to moisturize the material. Buy a leather dressing or a leather cream. If you can, contact the manufacturer of your leather to find out what they recommend. There are a number of oils and waxes that can help you reduce the cracks and dryness in your leather.
- Add leather dressing intermittently. Even if you haven’t used your leather item for many years, don’t just keep it stored in a glass display case. You need to dress the leather periodically